Thursday, February 7, 2008

My Trip To Akola ,Blind Project

I took the night train from Mumbai and reached Akola at 6AM. I was so TOUCHED and moved to tears to see the BLIND HEADMASTER , along with his blind teachers, waiting at the platform with a bouquet of flowers.
It felt a little weird and I wondered …who will drive the car?
Luckily, Suresh Bhai,s son has vision and I felt safe.
I reached Suresh Bhais home and was given a very warm welcome. He and his wife went all out to make me comfortable. I learned allot about this DEDICATED, SEVA DAARI and KARM YOGI. Suresh bhai is 70yrs old and was hobbling with a walking stick. If you recall…he was in a major accident. He is the ROCK of Akola and works tirelessly as a volunteer. He is STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW, a NO NONSENSE man..very proud..with bed rock integrity.. I learned , that he has been funding Akola with his own money. He silently does SEVA…with out any publicity or talk . The more I learn about him, from other people….. the MORE RESPECT I have for this man
AT THE SCHOOL
Words cant describe how I feel…… being in a room with 100 blind orphans and blind teachers. I did not know..who?? had vision?? It feels very strange, interacting with Blind people. It makes one appreciate our own eyes..which we take for granted
The blind children are abs “delicious” ( Grins language for UG kids ) There faces are so sweet and it is hard to imagine their DARK/BLACK world ! They sang beautiful songs. incidentally, the Akola team has won the first prize in Maharastra and second prize at the National level. One little girl , sang like a DREAM…pouring her heart/soul into the song ! It was so hard to control my tears !
ABOUT THE INTEGRATED STUDY SCHEME
If you recall, HOH had started/ funded for 25 blind students to go to regular High School.
How do they do it??
They sit with regular students and have cassettes, special tutoring . I would love to learn more and watch how it is done. I met all the 25 students and have each students biodata. They are doing very well . Some speak English and I asked about their dreams/ambition. Some want to be teachers/music teachers etc etc.
God willing….if only HOH could renew this funding … this Project is so AWESOME..it could become one of our FLAG SHIP projects.
Suresh Bhai is a visionary…. And his vision is to integrate more blind kids and also integrate them into Middle School.
Can you imagine….what an awesome project to tell the world..and follow the progress of these kids into main stream society

About the Akola Blind Girls
I was very happy?proud to know that Akola is the only school in Mahatrashtra that is teaching Blind Girls ! I was very impressed by how PROTECTIVE thety are towards these girls. These girls are SEPARTE , they stay upstairs and one needs SPECIAL PERMISSION to even walk upstairs.These poor blind girls are easy target for sexual abuse
THE BRAILLE LIBRARY donated by HOH
Is their pride and joy !Their dream /vision is to get funding for Braille
Printing Machines and soft ware ..to convert any language into Braille…..for education of blind students…..for $9K

THE HIGH LIGHT OF MY TRIP AND LIFE !
I met the 5 success eye surgery students. Their names are Abdul Rahim, Abhishek,.Avinash, Ganesh and Manoj. I had tears in my eyes when I spoke to them. I asked in detail how they felt…… worth writing a book ! Even though they have now partial vision…but it is a GIFT ..a new lease on life for them. I played games with them…asking them the color of my outfit, the number of fingers etc etc. They got all the answers CORRECT ..except one . I showed them a round Britannia biscuit and they called it a GOLD MEDAL ( pretty close) . These kids have won many medals..that is displayed at the entrance of the school.
I just could ot et enough of them. I asked them many many questions…
How did you feel when you got your sight ?
There answers were so ..SIMPLE ..but heart wrenching !
One boy mentioned. He LOVED the tREE and its leaves..and just hugged it. One boy admired the blue sky, the green grass etc etc. Simple , Simple things….the beauty of nature…..that we take for granted !
I asked them andidly..how is it to be BLIND??
They said it is a DARK/BLACK WORLD… with allot of noises and bustle of things happening around them.
They just savour their eyesight and touched my feet….THANKING HOH !
I have recorded their words in my camcorder..
I don’t care what hardship HOH had to go thro…..BUT IT IS WORTH IT !! … the MOST GRATIFYING MOMENT IN MY HOH CAREER!
Imagine giving the gift of vision… an experience of PURE BLISS !
One child was a surgical failure, . It broke my heart , when he said he still CANT SEE AT ALL ! I have asked for a copy of his records to send to Shankara Eye Foundation… where Anil lal as his connections.
They are also going to send me the reports of few more children. Anil had suggested that we could work with SHankara foundation

Some High Lights /success stories of Akola
One student from Akola has joined the TATA CALL CENTER in Mumbai
One student has become the Head Master in another Blind School
One student has become a teacher in Akola school.
One student is playing Cricket at State level..How does a blind student play cricket? I learned that the ball is special… with music and has stones inside it
They won the second prize in National Music Competition
First Prize at the State level in Music
One student won the second Prize in National Sports
Akola is the State CHESS CHAMPION
The TEAM IN AKOLA
It is very SPECIAL. They get A+ for COMMITMENT and DEDICATION. Suresh Bhai has ZERO tolerance and fires people if they are not up to speed . he is truly AWESOME ! ..A VISIONARY..who naturally believes in TQM. I was impressed that NO ONE,from Out side can give the kids food. ..THEY ARE NOT BEGGARS ( Vikrams words )
They have not received Govt Funding for 2 yrs. Suresh Bhai is paying from his own pocket. I was told he stopped the reconstruction in his own home to pay for Akola .

ABOUT FCRA
They showed me the paper work. At this point I told them to show it to Vikram…who will give it to Alok…. Who will put the file on Sahi’s desk… under the name of Saleem Shervani/ HOH / Dr Nilima Sabharwal .
I just hope and pray.. that GOD grants FCRA to these very SPECIAL people

About HEAD MASTER TYDAY
By the end of my trip… I simply fell in love with him. He has an adorable, cheerful personality! He also came to see me off. I asked him many candid questions. He came alone by bus, he has wife who is also totally blind, his 2 ids are Normal and they study in Mumbai.
Before leaving, he recited a special SHAIREE to me which I want to share with you all
“ THAK KE KYOO BAIDHA HAI? URAAN ABHI BAAKI HAI
ZAMEEN KHATAM HUI THO KYA HUA?AASMAN ABH BAAKI HAI”
Why are you sitting tired??
You have TO FLY
So what if the ground is finished…not there for you
The sky is always there to FLY …Wow !
When ever I feel tired now , I shall remember these words.
Incidentally, on my way to Akola in the train… I was feeling very low, frustrated and drained.. feeling like quitting ! .But the sight of this cheerful, blind man at the station…
Immediately UPLIFTED my spirits ! I shall always treasure these words of my new friend , ! ..Bless his heart

No comments: